Monday, May 4, 2009

Lots of News and Updates...

Hello, hope everyone had a great weekend. I had a great time visiting Marcy this weekend in Ohio. First, be sure to check out the website at www.djdfighton.org for new updates and information. In other news,a friend that Derrick and I met in NYC, Duane, recently wrote an article that was published in the New York Times! Here is the link to the article http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/nyregion/thecity/03rive.html?ref=thecity. We met Duane, because he also had a stem cell transplant at Memorial Sloan Kettering, and he was a big help to us! Please check out this talented writer/photographer's article! Today I am meeting with the McClure Trinity Youth group who fundraised $400 for the chemo duck program in honor of Derrick. I am excited to meet them and thank them personally for their hardwork. In the next few days I will be posting some updates about the Youth group on the website.

I was recently contacted and asked to post some information about an upcoming fundraiser to benefit a local man who is having a stem cell transplant. Here is the information:

SPAGHETTI DINNER

May 30

2pm-7pm

Watsontown United Methodist Church

Menu: Pickled Cabbage, Spaghetti, Italian Bread, Dessert & Beverage

Cost: FREE WILL OFFERING

As many of you know, Bill Phillips has been undergoing many medical procedures since January. As of July, he will be “out of pay”.

Bill & his family have been waiting to find a Bone Marrow donor match. The search has been narrowed down to several possible donors. Soon the procedure of chemo will start again to prepare him for a Bone Marrow transplant. During this he will be at the Philadelphia Hospital for 4-6 weeks. After his hospital stay, he will need to remain in the Philly area for 100 days due to the possible rejection from the transplant. There is housing offered by the hospital for the 100 day stay at the cost of $50 per day.

A benefit dinner will be held on May 30 to help compensate for the housing cost that will be endured. How can you help?

  • Prayer – For everyone who has and will help those in need
  • Donations - watch for details in the weekly bulletins
  • Volunteer – Help will be needed for the meal (advertising, table setting, food prep, cooking, serving, clean-up, etc.)
  • Attend – Plan on coming that evening for the meal
  • Share – Let others know the details so they can come for dinner
  • Prayer – For the Phillips Family, Physicians, and Donor

I was also contacted and asked to post some prayer requests. the first one is for a little 6 year old boy named Tyler who was diagnosed with leukemia and is receiving treatment at Hershey Medical Center. The next prayer is for Mike Beaver. He is the man that the foundation helped pay for some living expenses. Mike and his wife Mary just found out that his cancer has spread to his bones, lymph nodes, rib cage, and liver. Please pray for both Tyler and Mike and their families.

Lastly, in just a few short weeks, I will be running the marathon. I am happy to say that I have officially reached the $5,000 mark! It will be posted on my marathon website in a few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dear mindy,
we don't know how you do it all!!! we will keep tyler, mike, and their families in our prayers. as well as the phillips family. good luck with the marathon. what mile have you gotten to as of today?? we should be able to get some choc. chip cookies and/or brownies for the benefit golf tourney!! unfortunately mike and i both will be away that weekend and unable to help that day :( :( KEEP UP ALL YOUR AMAZING WORK!!! love you, m and n