Tomorrow marcy and her friends are hosting a bone marrow drive at Ohio University. The bone marrow kits are free, and Marcy and her friends have put a lot of hard work into it, so I hope they have a great turnout!!!!
The second drive is an e-drive that is being sponsored by a friend of Derrick and I's, Duane Bailey Castro. He is a stem cell transplant survivor. Here is the information he emailed me about the drive.
-Like so many, I've been moved by six-year old Jasmina's desperate search to find a matched unrelated donor. For her aggressive form of leukemia, a bone marrow transplant holds the only hope of a cure.
Kai, who is four-years old, is also suffering from leukemia. He too is searching for a life-saving donor.
These two remarkable, resilient kids have inspired me. I contacted DKMS, which is coordinating the donor search for both Jasmina and Kai, to find out how I may be able to help. The result is this e-donor drive.
So, I need your help. If you're healthy, I hope that you will register to become a bone marrow donor. Even if you are not found to be a match for Jasmina or Kai, you may be the single hope that someone else has been waiting for. It only takes one person to save a life.
As the fortunate recipient of an anonymous donor's selfless generosity, I can speak firsthand about how critical this period is right now to these two precious kids and their families.
In order to register as a donor you must first check to see if you are eligible, then you must read about the commitment involved to ensure that you understand what it means to register as a bone marrow donor.
Once you have done this, send an email to info@dkmsamericas.org stating that you are eligible and understand your commitment. Please include the following drive code: DBC001.
Though I have not yet had the great honor of meeting the individual, who saved this stranger's life, I hope our paths will cross in the not-to-distant future. Just think: you may be the match for Jasmina, Kai, or someone else. Please spread the word!
Thanks,
Duane
The last bone marrow drive, I found out about today. At the Midwest Relay for Life from 5:30- 9:30 they will be having free bone marrow kits for anyone interested in signing up! I just got the official word today, and I was so excited! The National Marrow Donor program is going to be there and they are using Derrick's logo for their advertising. I will also be speaking at the Fight Back ceremony @ 7:30, which will be in conjunction with the marrow donor testing, which I feel so honored to be asked. I will be talking about the inspiration of Derrick and ways people can fight back against cancer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hi mindy,
WOW!!!!!! we can hardly believe how much you do and you are only one person. so many people will be in the bone marrow program because of you and derrick!! so many lives will be saved and so many have been touched already by you guys!! how's the running coming? san diego is not too far away!! can't wait to hear all about it and see some pictures. have a wonderful week and fight on!!! love you, mike and nancy
You're so awesome!
Post a Comment