Sunday, June 7, 2009

Marathon, Speech, and Derrick's Birthday....

First of all, I wanted to update everyone on how the marathon went. It was one of the best experiences of my life. There were soo many people there cheering along the course and the bands made it so fun. Around mile 16, I got the "runner's high" till about mile 2o. I remember thinking to myself, "This is so awesome!" As I ran past Derrick's best friend, Nick O. at mile 19, I felt so good I told him to tell my mom, "I can run all day baby!" Needless to say that didn't last the whole time! around mile 22 there was this hill that totally kicked my butt, but I kept going! My aunt and I made a great team and we finished the race together in 4 hours and 24 minutes! At that point, I said "I'm never doing this again, this is crazy." By the next day I was already planning my next marathon! San Diego was great, Nick had just officially moved out to San Diego that week, so it was great to have a familiar face. He showed us all around the city ( Thanks Nick!). Total the Team in training raised $9 million this marathon for leukemia research, and $10,000 of that was raised by my aunt and I, so thank you everyone who supported us!!!! You can check out the finish of the race by going to this site http://www.rnrmarathon.com/elite/webcast/sd/archive.html

You can see pictures of me running at this site
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=45790&BIB=13383&LNSEARCH=1

On Friday, I spoke at an ACS Fight Back ceremony. It went pretty well. I was glad my mom, Casie, and Jim and Donna were there for support.

Saturday morning I ran in my first ever 5K. The 5K was to benefit cancer patients, and I decided to do it, because the families were so generous last year and helped Derrick and I out. It was a lot of fun, but was definitely more fast paced than the marathon. I finished first in my age group, and 7th overall out of the girls in 23 minutes and some odd seconds.


Saturday was Derrick's 24th birthday. Jim and Donna spent the weekend with me, so it was so nice to be all together. We missed Marcy, but she is packing up at school for the summer. We had a cookout with my family and friends. We had two ice cream cakes, because last year Derrick told me that after his transplant he now had two birthdays, so he deserved two cakes!!! We had a really nice time and the weather was beautiful!!!! This week, I started reflecting on what has happened in the last year. I think I (today) am in really good space. I am trying not to be as angry about what happened, and I am just so thankful to have met Derrick, and got the priviledge of knowing him for five years. In that way I feel so lucky. Thanks everyone for your support over the past 6 months, let's all continue to remember what Derrick has taught us all: Count our blessings, thank God, cherish every moment, tell your family and friends you love them, and most of all let's all keep fighting on and fighting back for ourselves and for Derrick.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi mindy,
glad to hear that your speech went well!! i would love to have heard it!! i want to go to the website to see you in the marathon. sounds like it was quite the experience. also, it sounds like you had a wonderful b-day party for derrick with two cakes!! we thought about derrick alot on sat. and played some music that made us think of him. some of his favorite songs. he is right, we need to count our blessings, thank God, and tell people that we love them!!!! derrick had alot of wisdom!!! glad that you are having some really good days and that some of the anger is leaving but i guess it is only natural and normal to feel that way!! God understands and he can take it!!! just tell Him!!! love you, m and n

Pam Akacki said...

Awesome post Mindy <3. This may not sound right...but it's good to know that you are angry sometimes, it shows that you are only human! I know I would have a really hard time to NOT be angry..but you are so inspiring in the fact that you don't let that take over your life...I hope someday I can be as strong as you. And not just that way...but as strong as you physically! Congrats on that marathon, that is awesome and I know it had to have been hard.

Still thinking and praying for you everyday!

<3 Pam

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
You don't know me and I can sadly say I only barely knew Derrick. He worked at the library at Lycoming and I came to know him just that little bit as he was graduating, giving us some things to do a display in honor of our graduating student workers. I started following this blog when found out about Derrick's illness and every once in a while I return to see how you have been carrying on. I applaud your strength, faith, and resilience. You truly are inspiring, just as your husband was. This world is a better place because of you both.
God bless.