Sunday, November 22, 2009

24 Hours of Remembrance

As we approach the one year anniversary of Derrick's passing, a number of people have asked what they can do to help celebrate Derrick's life and continue the legacy of inspiration that Derrick and Mindy shared during his cancer diagnosis and treatment. Here is what we've come up with.....we would like to have candles lit on the hour every hour starting at 1am December 6th and continuing until midnight that day. We encourage as many people to participate as feel moved to do so. You may light your candle wherever you are at the time and take a few minutes to remember the message Derrick instilled in us all "cherish one another and live each day to the fullest." Please leave a comment on the blog under this post to indicate the time you choose to participate. Don't worry about duplicating time slots. Let's make sure each hour is covered!

We would also like to thank all of you for your continued support of Jim and I, Marcy, Mindy and the DJD Fight On Foundation. We continue to be overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness and kindness demonstrated by friends, family and people we have never even met. Hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Jim, Donna, Marcy and Mindy

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello jim, donna, marcy, and mindy,
we would be glad to take 1 a.m. on dec. 6!!!! it will be so awesome to keep derrick's light shining bright!!!!!!!!!! love to you all, the sensenig family

Anonymous said...

Good evening Donna, Jim, Marcy and Mindy! Our family will light our candle at 5PM and keep it burning till midnight. What a good idea! As you know, your family is always in our prayers. Let's keep Derrick's spirit shining bright!! Love you guys. The Harmes'

cjchism said...

Hello..we will light a candle at noon and keep it lit until midnight..what an awesome idea...love to all...Cherie, Rod, Nicolas and Asia

Greta said...

Mike and I will light a candle at 2pm. Mindy, I'll post this to the website tonight!
Greta

Unknown said...

Very thoughtful idea. I'll light my candle at 3pm.

Sara :)

Ali said...

I'll light my candle at 8:00am and keep it lit all day!

Love you Mindy!

xoxo, Alicia

Sarah and Joe Balduino said...

Hello,

Joe and I will light our candle @ 9:00am and leave it on all day as well.

Love ya Mindy!

Joe and Sarah Balduino

Ranae and Brandon Johnson said...

Brandon and I will be up in PA with my dad on 12/6. I'll light the candle at 6 am when I get up to take Hope out. Love and miss you guys a lot.

Ranae and Brandon

Kelly Holst said...

Hello my beautiful dulls :)
I will light my candle at 2am and keep it burning until midnight.
love you so much,
kelly

Anonymous said...

Good Morning DJMM: The Hagey's will shine their light at 9 PM in honor of a wonderful man and his family. Love to you ALL.

The Hagey's

Deb Diamond said...

Hi Mindy, Donna, Jim and Marcy,

I will be traveling back to PA that day. I'll light a candle at 10 p.m. and keep it burning bright until midnight.

Love you all
Deb and Lance Diamond

Anonymous said...

Jim, Donna, Marcy and Mindy,
What an awsome idea! We will light are candle at 12 noon. Each Advent season from now on, with the lighting of the first candle will always be a reminder of Derrick and His Amazing courage. The Usners

Anonymous said...

Mindy, Jim, Donna & Marcy,

Our family will take 4:00PM on Dec. 6th. Our thoughts and Prayers are with you all on this day and always. You are an inspiration to many. Light you light shine!!!!

The Summers'

Hosler's said...

We will light our candle at 10:00 a.m. in honor of Derrick and keep it burning all day.
What a wonderful way to remember Derrick's bright shining spirt!
Love you all!
Jeff, Paula and Morgan

Abbie930 said...

I will light my candle at 8 pm and keep it burning until midnight. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Casey will be in Hershey Medical Center on December 6th. So I will get a flameless candle, put it in his room and have it lit all day!
Peggy Coble

Beverly said...

Hi Mindy, Jim, Donna, Marcy:

Memaw will take 1p.m. and I'll take 7p.m.. Goodluck with your race. I'll be thinking of you! Love you, Aunt Bev

Denise, Ned, Sarah and Hannah said...

The Boonie family from McClure will burn a candle from 6 pm -10 pm! Jim and Donna, you might want to check out Compassionate Friends (support for families who have lost children) website. They have a world-wide candle lighting ceremony on the 13th. The whole world is lit at 7 pm our time. You can find a ceremony near you or do it privately in your home. I just wish we could've known Derrick,but through his family and wife, we feel we did have a chance to know him.

LENNY Harding said...

At 5:00 am a candle will be lit at 120 Broad Street in rememberance of Derrick's courage and to remind me of the strength of Mindy, Donna, Jim and Marcy.

Lenny

Anonymous said...

Bill and I will take 9:00pm. We will be in Pittsburgh but will be back by then. This is a great idea.
Love, Jodi

Steve Mathiot said...

Will light a candle for DJ at 10 AM and burn it all day to remember a great and wonderful guy.


Love u guys,

Steve and Julie Mathiot

Papa amd Mama Boyer said...

Lighting a candle at noon and burning it all day to remember Derrick

Greg/Jodi Summers said...

Jim, Donna, Marcy & Mindy

What a beautiful way to remember Derrick. Even though Derrick isn't here with us anymore, his message is one that won't ever be forgotten. His star certainly does shine brightly in the night sky guiding us all. We would be honored to light a candle for Derrick at 7 a.m. Our thoughts & prayers continue to be with you...love, Greg & Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, Donna, Marcy & Mindy, we will be honored to light candles beginning at 12:00 Midnight on the 6th in remembrance of Derrick. Love Always!
The Morrissey's

Lauren, Matt, Kiely & Brenna Rogers said...

We will light our candle from 11am until it burns out. A simply wonderful idea.

Lauren, Matt, Kiely and Brenna Rogers

Donna Lauffer said...

We will burn our candles all day for a wonderfful young man.

The Lauffer family

Anonymous said...

hey dull family,
we saw that you got an 11 a.m. now but bobby, kendra, and adeline are going to light a candle at 9 a.m. in colorado anyway and kyle & nina are going to do 11 p.m. in maryland and pa. hopefully you have every hour covered!!!!! derrick's memory will always live on in so many people's minds, hearts, and wonderful memories!!! he probably will be wondering where all those bright lights are coming from on sunday when he looks down here from heaven!! i know that he looks forward to being reunited with you guys, his amazing loving family. i imagine that he has lots of people entertained and laughing up there, too. i wonder what all he does do in heaven because i'm sure that he still has lots of energy and excitement to share!! i imagine that he is cherishing new friends there and living each day to the fullest!!! jim and donna, i pray that you see the most gorgeous sunrise ever on sunday!! love you all, nancy & family

Beverly said...

Hi Mindy, Jim, Donna, Marcy:

Your mom asked me to make sure that I signed up for her. So I'm signing up my beautiful sister Barb for 10:10 and 11:11. Love you,
Aunt Moley

Shirley Orfanella said...

Hello Mindy, Jim, Donna & Marcy!

The Orfanella family too will be thinking of Derrick on Sunday... from Pete & I here in PA to Nick & Liz in California, we will be remembering Derrick's beautiful spirit & smile. I will light a candle at 8 AM before church and then again at 4 PM when we return home. Your family will be in our thoughts all day!

Shirley

Dale and Dedie said...

Hello Jim, Donna, Marcie and Mindy. We have had you all in our thoughts and prayers during these last couple of weeks. I am sure it has been such an emotional time! There is a song I think of by Kathy Troccoli "Light this World" "There is a candle in every soul, some brightly burning" as the song goes. Derrick's candle was/is brightly burning! God Bless you all! love, the Hecks

Nick O. said...

I will light a candle for my brother from another mother at 3am (midnight Cali time :)) and will let it burn all day! What a great idea! Love and miss you all!

Ms. D said...

I will honor Derrick's memory by lighting a candle and let it burn continuously on Dec. 6th and say a small prayer of thanks for privilege of knowing Derrick as my student at Ephrata High School. His memory is never forgotten, and his courage and inner light live on in all who had the pleasure of knowing him during his brief time here on earth.

Ms. Dryred

Liz Orfanella said...

The candles in rememberance of Derrick will be burning bright out here in California starting at 1am east coast time (10 pm out here for me) and will continue all day! I will be thinking of all of you throughout the day!

Love,
Liz Orfanella

Anonymous said...

The candle is lit...
The Crowthers

The Weavers said...

A candle at the Weaver house will be burning all day to remember our wonderful Derrick!! Hope all is well with you all! Love you guys, The Weavers

Anonymous said...

The Dickersheid's are honored to have their light shine not only to honor Derrick but also to honor his amazing family and friends. I know that he is looking down on each and everyone of you today. God Bless You.

Unknown said...

Our candle is currently lit Min & will burn brightly into tonite. We love you.

Kel & Ben

Unknown said...

7 PM for D and Ricky. I hope all of the Dull's are well, I hope to see you soon!

Squaly