Today I went to Hershey to have a sonogram on my testes which I had some pain in last week. Unfortunatly the results showed I have 2 masses, one in each of my testicles. They are pretty sure they are leukemic but need to biopsy them to be certain. I also had a bone marrow biopsy done today, where they extract your bone marrow out of you back hip area. The results will take about 48 hours. I also found out the results from the biopsy they did on the lumps on my arm, and unfortunately they came back positive for leukemic cells. This means I have what is called Leukemia cutis, where the leukemia comes up through the skin. So needless to say I am no longer in remission. I am having an MRI tomorrow at 5:30am on my head because I have been having some problems with my eyes and your brain is another place where the chemo doesn't reach well, and if they found masses there as well I wouldn't be surprised. I am having the biopsy of my testes on Friday.
The good news is that radiation should kill everything in my testes. Also I am starting a new kind of chemo called MAC either Friday or Saturday. I am also having that spinal tap sometime in the next few days where they insert chemo into my spinal cord. The main goal here is to get me back into a remission and then proceed to have a transplant immediately after my counts recover from the chemo.
I do not know if I will be able to attend the Issac's nights, it will depend on the type of chemo I get and how I react to it. I hate to miss the opportunity to see all of those who have been such a support the past few months but I know you all understand.
I also found out today that the 10/10 donor is not available. So this will give us more time to search and look for a perfect match. Today was a really tough day and I needed some cheering up so Mindy and I stopped at Martins on the way home from Hershey and picked up some steaks, asparagus and stuffed potatoes. That did the trick.
Psalm 20
May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you . May he send you help from the sanctuary and grant you support from Zion....May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.
-D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Dear Derrick
Trust in our Lord always. I am sad to hear that your tests came back positive for lukemia. I hope that you are doing well and that the chemo works for you.
Jer 29: 11"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them. (Psalm 145: 18-19)
Michelle
Derrick,
"Through the storm you do not walk alone" Isaiah 43:2. I am so sorry to hear about you results. This is one more thing you must overcome. You and Mindy have a very strong faith, let that faith guide and protect you during this difficult time. I pray on my Bible for your family everyday and know the power that will be with your family to help you through this. "In this world there will be trouble: but take heart, for I have overcome the world" John 16:33
Love and Prayers, Julie
My heart broke when I read your newest blog...I am so sorry to hear all of this. More than ever you will be in my prayers, I KNOW you can fight this Derrick! Stay strong, so many people are thinking of you and are behind ya on this.
Please know that we are thinking about you.
They that wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength; they shall mount up their wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. — Bible, Isaiah 40:31
Lay your fears and sadness at the Lord's feet everynight and he will renew your strength and love every morning. You are always in my thoughts and so is your family.
Love you guys!
They that wait upon the Lord, shall renew their strength; they shall mount up their wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. — Bible, Isaiah 40:31
Lay your fears and sadness at the Lord's feet everynight and he will renew your strength and love every morning. You are always in my thoughts and so is your family.
Love you guys!
You continue to be in my prayers Derrick. You will make it through this.
Dear Derrick,
You don't know me--but I work with your Dad at the bank. I have been checking in on yur blog every so often to see how things are going.
I was very excited to hear of your possible donor. And now I am very shocked to hear of your latest news. You must remain strong and fight this thing with all you've got. Please try your best to remain positive--I know it is not always easy. Your life has been turned upside down along with everyone who loves you. But you have a lot of people praying for you-many who do not even know you.
Our family made this unwelcomed journey just a few years ago when our six year old son, Michael was diagnosed with A.L.L. A lot of what I read about the things you are going thru brings back many memories of some of the same things Michael had to go thru. And while it was not always easy, he was our strength as we made the journey with him. He was always so brave for such a little boy who really didn't understand what was going on. I remember he actually liked being in the hospital because he had control of the remote!! (we didn't have cable then) Michael just turned 11 on Monday and, thank God, so far is doing very well. I think we had people from all over the world praying for him. You, most likely, have the same. Prayer is a very powerful thing--and it sounds like you already know that.
You are in our prayers--everyday. Stay strong, Derrick--you will win this battle.
Hey you! Everything has been crazy for awhile... but I have been praying (my mom too) to Saint Teresa daily. She is on your side! Once school is out for the school year, I can help you out in anyway. Please use and abuse me! I MEAN IT!
Julie C
Derrick,
I was saddened to read about your latest news, but I know your strength and your faith and your wonderful friends and family will help you get through this. There are so many people behind you, please know you are in my prayers. Stay strong and keep on fighting!
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
Isaiah 58:9
Kate Petcavage
Hey Derrick
This is Ashley Scheirer (Wilson)...Marc Thompson and one of my managers at Javateas are trying to organize a benefit night here at Javateas in June! It was so great to see so many people at Isaacs and we would love to help in any way we can! Marc said he would work out the details, just wanted you to know we are fighting for you and praying for you every step of the way!
Post a Comment