Sunday, November 16, 2008
A time when you can't help but ask why....
Sorry for not posting for a few days, and I wish I could say everything is great and I was just being lazy but unfortunately that is not the case. We found out on Wednesday that my cancer, leukemia is back in my body. I know most of you when you read that last sentence will ask the same questions as me, why, how. So this means that I will have to start chemo next week to get my cancer back into remission and then most likely we will try a second transplant and this time instead of having a T-Cell depleted one, I will have a conventional transplant which will cause graft vs host disease but will kill off the leukemia cells as well. Mindy and I have decided to get married TOMORROW. I never thought people could pull off a wedding in 5 days but I know ours is going to be awesome. Since we are going to have to go through and down this long road again Mindy and I thought it only be fitting if we do it as husband and wife. Personally I was totally excited when we brought up the idea because I have been waiting forever to marry this amazing angel of mine. It is the night before my wedding right now so I'm going to keep this short, please keep me in your prayers and pray that the chemo regime they put me on next week gets my cancer into remission and that we have success with the donor again and a good second transplant. Tuesday I will see my doctor again and learn what the game plan will be. We have finished asking why and we have turned our lives over to the Lord, our lives are in his hands now, and when you think about it they have always been. I can't believe I'm getting married tomorrow, I love my future bride to be so much and I can not wait to call her my wife, tomorrow in the mist of everything else I am dealing with I will be able to say with absolute certainty I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth. I love you Mindy, you are my everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31 NIV
I couldn't find the right words of my own so I thought this is a time to turn to God's words. You are in my prayers, Derrick!
On a lighter note Congrats to you and Mindy. Love is an awesome thing. Thinking about you both on this day.
Love always,
Lindsay Heck
Congratulations to you and Mindy! I am so glad you have someone like her in your life to keep you positive.
I have you in my prayers more than ever...I'm sorry to hear about this, everyone is heartbroken for you. We continue to think of you daily.
<3 Pam
Congrats Derrick and Mindy. I wish I could be there, but it's completely understandable. My parents told me they'd take lots of pictures! I'll be thinknig about the 2 of you all day! Have a wonderful wedding day. :-) It's going to be perfect. And Derrick, like you said at the prayer service: forget about being sick today. Today, you are the luckiest man in the world. I love you both!
Love,
Nicole
Ok I meant thinking, not thinknig. I had to correct myself since I work with first graders all day. haha.
-Nicole
congrats to you and mindy. today will be the first day of many to come with the two of you sharing your lives together. wish you the best on this joyous occasion.
the lord throws obstacles at us some times that seem to large to overcome. but i know that with god, mindy, and so many others on your side you can overcome anything.
stay strong derrick
Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward
for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
People who possess an inner core of self-esteem become the masters of their own fates. We must choose not to see ourselves as victims of our circumstances. We need to be in charge of our behavior.
Derrick and Mindy, you both have been such a true testimony of what true love and faith stand for. I want to thank you on your wedding day for blessing my life and others with such an amazing love story.
God Bless,
Kelly Fry
(Lori's sister & Chris Harmes' sister-in-law).
Praying for a long, happy, and healthy life together. So happy for both of you.
Love,
The Highfield's
"Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life." Leo Buscaglia Derrick and Mindy, so glad you found love and life! Jody Funk
Congratulations to you and Mindy!!! You deserve a beautiful day. Please know our thoughts and prayers have been with you through this difficult time and will continue until the battle is won. With all our love...Tammy & Doug Peifer
Derrick & Mindy, We are so very happy for you both on this, your Wedding Day. "Two souls and one thought, two hearts and one pulse. Two bodies and one spirit. May you always be ONE."
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord. (Psalm 31:24)
You both are Prayed for and Loved by so many. Can't wait to celebrate with you when you return to Ephrata.....Kim Wilson & Family
Congratulations Derrick and Mindy on this your Wedding Day! We wish a Glorious Day of celebration with your friends and family. Can’t wait to hear all about it!
Love and Prayers,
Dan and Tina Auker
congratulations Mindy and Derrick. you are both in my thoughts and prayers today and always. enjoy your new life together, no matter what is thrown in your paths. Lean on eachother and never give up on your future. best wishes to you guys...
love, ellen
I've been reading your blog for sometime, and just had to comment today.
First of all congratulations on your Wedding; I wish you both the best.
Second: I am so sorry that your Leukemia has returned. I will be praying for you, and your family.
Derrick and Mindy. So sorry to hear that the cancer has returned. I pray that the Lord will once again take it away and you will be healed. We look up to the ulitimate healer and pray to take it away.
A hearty congratulations also on your wedding day!! I hope this day is filled with happiness and joy and may you two live many more years in health and happiness...
Michelle
West Australia
Hey Derrick,
Just read your last post.. Sorry to hear about that, Ill keep you in my prayers.. Good to hear about you and Mindy though, that is great news and congrats you are both great people and lots of love to both of you guys.. Just Stay strong buddy and if there is anything I can ever do for you let me know.. Love ya
Repko
congratulations to you both on this day and everyday as you continue to live each day to the fullest together. As you both know, life is a journey and having each other is such an amazing bond that can accomplish anything.
<3 Lauren
Dearest Derrick and Mindy,
your wedding was so beautiful and amazing beyond words because it was so evident the strong love that you have for one another. we were honored and humbled to be able to attend your special day. we had an awesome time and it was really neat to meet some of your family that we didn't know and to visit with ones that we did. derrick you looked so handsome and mindy you were gorgeous. jim you looked pretty good yourself and donna you were stunning. then of course marcy you looked totally amazing not at all like a field hockey superstar!!! thanks so much for included us in such a heartfelt ceremony and fun time. we have you all in our prayers and we are waiting on your miracle derrick!!!! keep the faith and continue your fight. we wanted it to be over shortly but that may take a bit longer than what we all wanted for you two. we are always here if you guys need anything. that goes for all you dully's. sleep well mr. and mrs. derrick dull!!! doesn't that sound nice?!! love you, mike,nancy, and family
Hey Derrick & Mindy
I'm soo sorry to hear that the cancer has returned, please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers everday. Congratulations on the marriage though, true love will carry you through. YOur inspiration and the speech you gave at our conference a few weeks ago was amazing and you continue to motivate us to fight back. Please know that I am here for you.
For A Cure,
Lindsay Martin
Nancy summed up what we needed to say today to you. We were truly humbled to share witness to your vows. Each day is a new day and we will ALL get you thru this next stage. As you look back and read all of the comments thru out this blog, you know that there are so many wonderful people praying for you each and everyday. On your hardest days, do not ever forget we are right beside you. Much love, the Harmes'
ps....Miss Marcy Dull looked stunning as well! As I told her, she looked like a "Bond Girl" cheers!
There is a new Mrs. Dull in town!!! Yea!!! I thought so much about the two of you during the day..I can't wait to see pictures! I hear it was AMAZING!
Lots of love to the new Mr. and Mrs. Dull
Julie C
Congratulations on the wedding, Derrick and Mindy!!! I read this after receiving Mindy's deflating text message earlier today.
You two are amazing. I'll email you.
Sending love ur way!
Post a Comment