So the past couple of days have been a busy roller coaster ride to put it best. Yesterday, Derrick had to be placed on a ventilator for various reasons. They had planned to drain his left lung, which is almost completely filled with fluid, but they couldn't. The fluid in his lungs really made his breathing labored. Also, his liver isn't processing out the medications like it should, so it was causing him to be confused. Also, yesterday they did an ultrasound on his abdomen, because he was having a lot of different symptoms. The ultrasound showed that he had bleeding in his abdomen at several different places and bleeding in his colon. They can't definitively pinpoint where the bleeding is coming from, but it is likely due to his low platelet count and complications caused by the chemotherapy. Today they gave him this drug called factor 7, which is something we all have naturally in our bodies, but Derrick is currently deficient. Factor 7 helps with clotting, so they are hoping this will stop the bleeding internally. As soon as they get a handle on the bleeding, they are hoping to place a chest tube in Derrick to remove the fluid. The next step after that is that if this helps his breathing is to remove the ventilator and wake him up. He is currently sedated and resting comfortably. He gets platelet transfusions every 6 hours to also help with his clotting. Also in the works is his next bone marrow transplant which is scheduled to occur before December 16th. The chemotherapy that he had totally wiped out his immune system and his white cell count, which is currently at 0. At this point we are just going hour by hour, minute by minute, as things can change so quickly. Please keep Derrick in your prayers. We are still praying and believing in a complete healing for Derrick.
- Mindy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
30 comments:
Wow.
I think about you guys every day and will continue to pray and hope that Derrick stays strong and fights off everything bad that comes his way. Keep your heads up!
You can beat this Derrick!
Love,
Nicole
Derrick and Mindy,Jim, Donna and Marci, I continue to ask for peaceful moments in ALL of your lives. Love, Jody
hello derrick and mindy,
wow, we really do not know what to say other than a really positive break would be so nice right now!! it must be hard for all of you to watch what derrick has to go thru to fight this cancer. we will pray for healing as always and that the good results would start to outweigh the bad. we pray that derrick could have comfort, peace and strength to heal from the inside out! we continue to have faith that God does have that miracle for him and SOON! we pray for all of you to feel God's love and comfort during such a trying time. hang in there and keep fighting on!! we love you, mike and nancy
Derrick, Mindy & Family,
You are in our daily thoughts & prayers. There is so many people that love you & who are sending positive thoughts your way. We pray that this fills Derrick's spirit & helps him through this difficult time. Much love & prayers-The Lewis Family
Derrick and Mindy, I have been checking your web site out since the begining. So many people at ENB are praying for you. I have worked with your dad for 22 years and he is so very proud of you. I will go into work tomorrow and make sure everyone in my department prays for Derrick. We congratulate you on your wedding and thanks so much for sharing. Jim, Donna and family I pray God will give you peace in knowing he is in Control of Derrick's life. Psalm 73:23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;You hold me by my right hand. God Bless all of you. Doris & Rick Bernarduci
Derrick, Mindy, Jim, Donna & Marcy,
You are probably the strongest and most positive people I know. We're all praying hard for Derrick's healing. I can feel that miracle coming!!!!
Stay strong. Love to you all!
Craig & Michele
Take comfort in knowing that our lives are in gods hands. He has a plan for all of us. Stay strong Derrick you have such a wonderful life to live and an angel to spend it with. We are all praying for you. You guys have all been such an inspiration to all of us. You really define the true meaning of love and family and remind me everyday how important it is to keep my faith in god. Fight on Derrick we are all cheering you on.
Derrick is in my thoughts and prayers daily. I wish much peace and comfort for Derrick and your family as you all endure this very difficult treatment process. May God be with you all every minute of the day. I will continue to pray for healing and peace. Leisa
As always, you and our whole family are in our prayers, constantly. Feel God's loving arms around you giving you comfort and strength. We will continue to pray for Derrick's healing. And we know God is with each of you every step of the way. God bless you and keep you, The Burridge's
Sending love ur way. If you want to talk, please don't hesitate. ;)
Hey Hollywood-
Congratulations to both you and Mindy! You are often on my mind and I pray for you and your family each day.
L. Kremer
We are praying ... you will beat this!!
The Crowthers
Derrick, Mindy, Jim, Donna and Marcy
You are all in our thoughts and prayers every day.
Keep up the good fight. You are awesome.
We love you all.
The Gerharts
Sean and I are praying for you...stay strong!
xoxo,
Alicia and Sean
Just like Doris said in an earlier message...there are a lot of people praying for you at ENB. My children pray for you everyday at school and you are always on our minds and in our prayers. Stay strong and keep fighting.
Thank you for sharing this personal journey with all of us. We did the same thing with our son, Michael. It helps those who know you--and don't know you--to support you in many ways.
May God bless you all and continue to give you the strength you need to get through this.
Barb Palm and family
D J DULLY,
Nobody is stronger than D Dully! the most mentally and physically tough person I have ever met. You have been in these shoes before and beat this sickness, and if anybody can do it agian, ITS YOU! We as supporters continue everyday to pray for you and not a day goes by that we don't think about you and check this blog page. you are always in our hearts as you continue to stay strong! Keep your head up and FIGHT ON! Love you like a brother, forever!
"Dull quit hangin' on the rim"
One Love
Scott C.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. I check the blog everyday to get the updates on how Derrick is doing. I am glad that they are keeping him comfortable because it sounds as though he has a lot going on right now. He's a fighter and I just know that in my heart he will continue to fight this and WIN!! Mindy, I know how much of a fighter you are too so keep on fighting, and stay strong for the both of you. I love you, Aunt Jackie
I will continue to pray for Derrick. I am so sorry that you all have to go through this.
Just wanted to send you a note to let you know I am thinking of all of you and praying for Derrick's recovery. He is so lucky to have you all there to support him through this....stay strong and treasure the moments you have!
Fight on Derrick!
Love,
Liz Orfanella (Nick's sis)
It's been a long time, but you guys have been in my prayers and I continue to pray for strength and peace and comfort.
FIGHT ON!!!
Love, Lauren
May God continue to provide for you all you need to face each day.
Much love and prayers
Lisa Montpetit Shirk
D,
If anyone can overcome adversity it is you. Stay strong and keep fighting. Your best days are still ahead of you. Many many memories still to come. Plus, we still have to make it big hustling people in darts!!!!!
Love ya brother!
-Kick
Dull family, I just had to let you know we called a quick prayer time at ENB yesterday. It was so emotional watching everyone come down and take hands to pray for Derrick. I heard the Tech center had a prayer circle as well. I urge everyone to wear Believe pins in honor of Derrick. We BELIEVE in Miracles and we are all praying for Derrick and all of you. God Bless and FIGHT ON!
Derrick & Mindy,
Congratulations on your marriage! The pictures are absolutely beautiful!! We are praying for you and know you can beat this!
Love,
Nate & Cassie
...Derrick, Mindy and Family...you all continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you push through this tough time. Derrick, you are a fighter I have complete faith that you can beat this.
Stay strong. Godspeed.
Love,
Angela
thinking of you all everday and praying for Derrick's strength, comfort and recovery.
<3 Sanders
Derrick,
Save a spot for our beach chairs on the OTB of heaven. We love you, we will miss you, but we will never forget you.
Love always,
The Morrissey's
My thoughts are with all of you and I know that Derrick is watching down on each of you from heaven and giving you the strength that you need to get through this tough time. God Bless You!!!!
Derrick we will miss you dearly!!!!!
Jason, Sarah, and I, and even my 3 year old cousin, Halee were looking at loads of photo albums tonight. We found ones of us kids at the Outer Banks when we were little, and even when we were older. And even random pictures of us kids and our families. It's never going to be the same without your smiling face. Who's going to do the lips/finger thing that Jim and my dad do? Derrick imitated that the best! We had loads of great times that will never be forgotten!
Derrick, we know that you'll be looking down on us from heaven. I'm sure Deb, among others, will keep you under her wing. We'll do our best to keep an eye on your angel, Mindy, too. You were my 3rd brother and I always thought of you that way. I will always love you!
Love Always,
Nicole
Mindy and family. So sorry to hear of your loss and rest assured Derrick is in a good place. Wishing you all the best in the coming days and weeks.
Post a Comment