Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 0- Transplant day!











This is Mindy, Derrick fell asleep again before he could get a chance to post, but hopefully he will post early tomorrow. For most of the day Derrick was asleep as he was having hiccups and some burning in his GI track. These are side effects from the chemo and radiation treatments. Derrick recounted all the set backs that happened before he could actually get to transplant. Then he thought about all the blessings he received in order to get to this point. Derrick got his first fever today right before they came to do the transplant. So right up til the last minute we were wondering if it would happen or not. The doctors assured him that the fever would have no negative impact on his transplant. The transplant went really well, it was very anti climatic actually. Now we just wait and see if the cells engraft and hope he remains infection free. Like someone mentioned today is considered a new "birthday" for Derrick. He is now a Leo and a blood type A+. He was sure to remind me that now he gets two Dairy Queen ice cream cakes a year! After his first fever, he didn't have another one all night. They did put him on precautionary medicines and drew some blood cultures. Thanks for everyone who has continuously prayed for Derrick and the family. He will need continued prayer throughout the next several weeks. I have attached some pictures of the transplant and I will let Derrick comment on it more tomorrow.



With God all things are possible.




Matthew 19:26




6 comments:

LaLa said...

it was so good seeing the both of you and you both looked and sounded great. I'm so happy, as I'm sure you both are, that this day came. Enjoy the ice cream, more cooking is coming your way. so please call! thinking of you both often!

Sanders

kickersgd said...

Hey D! Glad to see that this day finally came. I've been thinking and praying for ya everyday. Hope all stays well and give me a call sometime. I left you a few messages but I'm not sure if you're getting them or not. Take care and say HI to Mindy for me!!


-Kick :)

Duane said...

Congratulations, Derrick!!!!

I'm so happy for you. I have a huge Kool-Aid smile right now. :)

Wishing and hoping for the ABSOLUTE BEST!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!
It's sounds like your going through the final leg of this race which is the toughest but now you can at least see the finish line. We're all back in Watsontown waving you in! Our love and prayers are with you.
Biggie

Anonymous said...

Hey Derrick,
Happy Birthday!! Today is the first day of the rest of your life, rejoice and be glad in the Lord!!! So glad the transplant took place with no problems. Many prayers from our family to yours that the next couple of weeks will go well for you. You and Mindy are my Heros.
The Summers'

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that the transplant went well. Stay strong these next couple days, Dully! I'm sending you positive vibes from DC!(By the way, Leos are awesome.)
Hope to see you guys soon.

Lindsay