Monday, February 11, 2008

Slight Setback

Derrick's streak of days feeling good came to an end today. He was feeling more tired than normal, not much of an appetite, and had a fever in the afternoon. After he consulted with his doctor, it was decided to take the more cautious path and re-admit him to Hershey Med Center so his fever could be monitored and any cause be treated.
This is not an unexpected turn of events as Derrick was told the majority of patients experience a similar event after a treatment like his.
His fever broke shortly after being admitted, his appetite returned(and he enjoyed some chicken pot pie) , while the staff proceeded to run the normal battery of tests. If he remains fever-free, his stay should last about 2 days, and he can return home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey cuz

Good to hear about all the success you're having through Chemo. Don't worry about the minor setback, it only makes you stronger! You and the family have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard. Dan and I both wish we could have come home to see you but somethings just don't work out. When all is said and done I think you and the fam will deserve a nice vaca to Florida... I know a great place with family included =]
Keep the positive attitude and stay strong and know that God is always by your side as well as most of the town of Ephrata and beyond! So many people are praying and pulling for you... you have one of the most amazing support groups I've ever seen come together! You and your family are all wonderful people and deserve all the prayers, support, and love that can be offered... LOVE YOU!

Christine

Andrew & Sean Mitchell said...

Derrick, Hope your stay in the hospital is short. Wanted you to know that we are thinking of you in Pittsburgh. Anytime you want to make a road trip for good Basketball or Hockey game drop me a line. I've got the room. Love & Prayers to you and the family.

Cousin Sean & Lil Andrew
pittpike@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Dully...sorry to hear about your little setback, but you'll be back home in no time, just another thing your amazing spirit will overcome. Wish you the best, and once again, you are in my prayers.

jharmes said...

Hey Derrick! It has been awhile since I have heard anything about you, and when my mom called me a few weeks back to tell me the news I was pretty down. I wish it were possible for me to be able to visit you, but being 300+ miles away in the sticks of Virginia that is unfortunately not going to happen. You are such a great guy and it is miraculous how someone can have such a great attitude and spirit in times like these. Above all, your own will and courage are going to help you far more than any amount of treatment can. I definitely look up to your for the way you are handling this. You are in great hands with Hershey Med, and most of all, you are in God's hands. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, as well as those of the Hokie Nation! Keep fighting!

-Jordan Harmes

Greg said...

Derrick and Family,

Please know that Jenn and I are thinking about all of you. I posted a link to your blog on our blog - hope that is ok.

Greg and Jenn

Jenn said...

Many prayers and good vibrations are coming your way from Oregon. Lots of love, Greg, Jenn and Abby.

Anonymous said...

Derrick,
"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you" Sorry to hear about the fever. Hope you are soon better and back home. Much love and prayers.

Julie