Thursday, February 7, 2008

Coming Home


If all goes as planned, tomorrow Derrick will be discharged from the hospital..........yahoo!! We are so excited to have him under our roof again, and Mindy too. His treatment plan is to recuperate for 2-3 weeks and then another round of chemotherapy will follow. The road will be a long one but we are glad that the first stage is coming to an end. Some amazing friends purchased a new bed for them complete with all the bedding. When Jim and I arrived home from the hospital tonight it was all set up and when we walked into Derrick's room I just wanted to cry. Thank you so much. In addition, a cleaning crew (the very, very sexy Merry Maids) visited our home last evening and performed their magic. Thanks again to everyone who has shown us so much support.........your cards, letters, and emails continue to pour in and each and every one of them helps to boost Derrick's spirit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derrick, I just wanted you to know that you have not left my thoughts and prayers from the moment I found out. Just like Nick you are my big brother and I know you and how you have overcome a lot and this is just one more thing. I know you can do it, there are so many people in your corner right now. I just wish you a fast and speedy recovery. Take care

Ryan

Anonymous said...

So I have to admit, I have been checking this blog site daily and repeatedly for new postings on how your doing! From being your friend, I know you can pull yourself through any situation and talk yourself out of any situation. Like skipping class and convincing me to go with you on a random Sheetz run (YUM!) while convincing the sub teacher that we were in the library. I was so nervous (as I usually am). You were coool, calm and collected (as you always are).

I have been thinking about you and your family non stop since Friday! I wish when I called I would have known what to say, so I took some time to think and now I'm back. I am happy to hear that you are doing well and that you have a wonderful girlfriend at your side along with your amazing family.

Keep Smiling D, you got this! I miss you and will visit you as soon as I get a chance to come home.

<3 Sanders

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! What great news. I have to admit that I just like Laur, have been checking this page like crazy for any updates. This is a wonderful update. I feel the power of God all around this situation, what a beautiful thing!! Thinking about you and your family. Love you!


"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish."
John Quincy Adams

Anonymous said...

always good to see you smiling in the pic bro! I'm glad I could get up to see you a few times before they put the lock down on visitors for you. Hopefully you haven't had to fire anymore nurses since the one who you couldn't even understand. So since you got a new bed, does that mean I get the old one down in the basement for me when I crash there so I don't have to wake up on the sofa anymore? I can't complain though: rough wake ups on the sofa always follow great nights, so it works out in the end. Stay strong bro, and I'll see you at home!

Anonymous said...

Derrick, Like the other comments posted before me, I can not go to bed before checking on YOU!! We have a wonderful group of friends and I feel like you are one of my children! You have a great group of friends as well and always keep them near and dear to your heart!! WE are all on your team! And for your nurse, Mindy, you could have not asked for more!!

Keep on smiling!!!

The Harmes' Family